The insurance industry provides property and crop insurance to organizations and individuals which are all directly impacted by severe weather occurrences. Studies and analysis of the historical and predicted future impact of severe weather are of interest to the insurance industry. |
Section 1. Organizations and Agencies|
[Top of Page]
- FEMA National Flood Insurance Program
- Florida Insurance Council, Inc.
- The Florida Insurance Council is the state's largest and most active trade
association for insurance companies, their policyholders, and consumers.
- Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS)
- IBHS is an initiative of the insurance industry to reduce deaths, injuries, property damage, economic losses and human suffering caused by natural disasters.
- The Institute for Risk Research (IRR)
- The IRR's mission is to promote safety for Canadians by improving the understanding of risk and risk policy decisions.
- The Insurance Information Institute
- The Insurance Information Institute (III) Web site provides information about insurance issues related to disasters and hazards mitigation measures, as well as statistics on disaster losses including hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.
- Insurance Services Office, Inc.
- "We're the property/casualty insurance industry's leading supplier of statistical, actuarial, underwriting, and claims information -- including information gathered on-site at individual properties. That's why we're pleased to offer a website featuring free, useful information and analysis for insurance company professionals, agents, brokers, regulators, risk managers, researchers, and others who need to know about insurance. You'll also find information about ISO's products and services, and ISO customers can get Internet access to many products."
- Public Entity Risk Institute (PERI)
- The Public Entity Risk Institute's mission is to serve
public, private, and nonprofit organizations as a resource for the
practical enhancement of risk management, including risks associated
with natural hazards. PERI is charged with serving the interests of
public-sector organizations as well as small nonprofit organizations
and businesses. The Web site includes extensive information about the
organization, its plans and programs, as well as links to other useful
risk information on the Web.
Section 2. General Resources|
[Top of Page]
- Global Risk Management
- This resource contains a discussion forum, papers, announcements, a list of professional organizations, job announcements, etc.
- Insurance Services Office, Inc.
- The web site of "the property/casualty insurance industry's leading supplier of statistical, actuarial, underwriting, and claims information" provides information such as estimates of anticipated national insured catastrophe losses for the entire insurance industry at its news page, as well as timely studies on important issues facing the insurance industry and society as a
whole at its studies and analyses page.
- Rade T. Musulin
- This page contains links to various papers and presentations prepared by Rade T. Musulin, Vice President-Actuary, Florida Farm Bureau Insurance Companies. Recommended: his paper on "Issues in the Regulatory Acceptance of Computer Modeling for Property Insurance Ratemaking," Journal of Insurance Regulation, Spring, 1997, 342-359. (www.ffbic.com/actuary/papers/jir.pdf).
- The RiskINFO Web site provides "Resources for Risk Management,
Safety, and Insurance Professionals" including current and back issues of the Risk Management Reports newsletter and links to other useful risk management sites (for example, www.disasterplan.com, which offers, among other things, sample contingency and response plans for various hazards).
- Risk Prediction Initiative (RPI)
- The Risk Prediction Initiative (RPI) is a research and educational program within the Atlantic Global Change Institute of the Bermuda Biological Station for Research. The overall goal is to bring the international science and business communities closer together.
- Society for Risk Analysis 1999 meeting
- This site includes abstracts of the 373 papers presented at the 1999 meeting of the Society for Risk Analysis. With the theme "The Future of Risk in the 21st Century," the meeting highlighted the changing nature of risk, global and transboundary risk issues, new approaches to risk management, and possible trends in public values and democratic processes in the next 100 years.
- SwissRe Sigma Insurance Research
- The Swiss Reinsurance Company (SwissRe) issues several "Sigma
Insurance Research Studies" each year. Study #1 for 2002, entitled
"Natural Catastrophes and Man-made Disasters in 2001: Man-made Losses
Take on a New Dimension," is available from the SwissRe web site, as are a variety of other reports on natural hazards risks.
Societal Aspects of Weather Home Page | Comments and Feedback
Roger Pielke, Jr.'s Home Page
[ Societal Aspects of Weather Home Page - Text Version ]