CSTPR Strategic Plan
Our long-term vision is to “serve as a resource for science and technology decision makers and those providing the education of future decision makers.” Our mission is to improve how science and technology policies address societal needs, including research, education and service.
Achieving this mission requires making progress toward the following four interrelated strategic intents:
Strategic Intent #1: Help guide the University of Colorado in educating the next generation of science and technology policy decision makers.
- Build a sustainable graduate science and technology policy education program at the University of Colorado.
- Serve as a national role model in innovative science and technology policy education.
- Integrate faculty skills and expertise across disciplines and fields contributing to their professional development, research, and educational goals.
- Enable the University of Colorado to serve as a leading voice in national and international science and technology policy issues.
Strategic Intent #2: Help make the nation’s science portfolios more responsive to societal needs. Example areas include climate and global change, disasters, nanotechnology, biotechnology, and renewable/sustainable energy.
- Identify criteria for reconciling supply of and demand for scientific information in decision making.
- Identify and present criteria for developing and evaluating broad portfolios of scientific and technological research.
- Identify and develop relationships with our target audiences to learn about their information needs and how we can best assist them.
- Develop an outreach strategy to disseminate the Center’s products to our target audience.
Strategic Intent #3: Provide various means for people with differing perspectives to discuss research and practice related to science in its broader societal context.
- Identify the current and potential users of our discussion fora.
- Evaluate current activities and continuously develop new activities to serve effectively our users’ needs.
- Experiment with new technologies, educational tools, mechanisms of outreach, and forms of stakeholder interaction to enhance the opportunities for discussion and debate on important topics related to science and society.
Strategic Intent #4: Build a sustainable, diverse and productive institution at the University of Colorado-Boulder.
- Achieve sufficient and stable funding to support the Center’s core activities.
- Achieve a critical mass of personnel able to carry out the Center’s mission.
- Have all Center staff co-located on the main campus.
- Further improve and refine the Center’s governance structure to support growth and guide its future direction.
- Develop the Center’s “brand.”